Sunday, April 24, 2011

Birthday Pantalon Party and Super Surprises!





My birthday was something quite unique -- I shared the day with a group of people whom I had never even met only seven weeks ago, in a place which is so alien to my 'normal' environment, at least 12 000 kilometres away from the nearest of my family and friends, everyone was dressed in their own favourite West African pair of pants, and yet it turned out to be one of the best birthdays of my entire life.
There was singing every hour or so (yes, what goes around, comes around... but I LOVED it!), there were the most generous gifts starting the night before at The Diplomate Club (thank you Andrew -- the sweetest gift), a mancala game, handcarved (!), gifts of Mali fabric (!!), a harmonica with microphone (!!!) -- a bottle of Sapphire Blue and enough tonic to last -- well -- a while , and then of course, there was the feast of the pig on the spit! Never before has there been a pig that tasted to good! Mark and Orm and Ben coddled it through the hours necessary to get the crackling crisp and melting in the mouth and the meat so tender that when it came to the carving, the meat just fell off the bones. Ben and Orm had also spent a few hot hours in the kitchen concocting a stuffing of gourmet quality -- Ben's Nana would be proud of him! Pork fat, bread, onions and herbs put through the meat grinder and resulting in a superb stuffing. Added to that the roast potatoes, the salad, the apple sauce and the honey and mustard gravy -- wow! fingerlickin gooooood!
(also see Kyle's photographs of the actual slaughtering of the sow)
And then came the cake -- a deliciously layered white and chocolate and cream cake with a birthday wish piped on top, three candles and -- the RED BUTTON! And yes! It most definitely was a red button moment to remember for all time!

And added to all that:


At the same place we are staying, are two young guys from Holland -- in a converted military vehicle, who are travelling almost exactly the same route as our intended route -- hence their hold-up here, like us, hoping to obtain passports to countries quite reluctant these days to issue visas of any kind to anyone.

Erik and Frits are charming, adventurous and innovative - true explorers of our time. They had spent 6 months preparing for this trip -- down to the minutest detail of their van's design and construction, their route and the possible and probably hiccups along their way. (Do have a look at their blog-- it is in Dutch, but beautifully written and makes for fascinating reading -- and if you have the time, also click on: http://www.feikesantbergen.nl/fotodl/AFRICA%20Project-H.264%20LAN.mov - a short film clip made of them and for them by a film-maker friend).
The first night I chatted to Erik, it turned out that he had done the same course in Holland that Kelly had done in Port Alfred, and as she had gone to Holland for her 6 month practicals, Erik had gone from Holland to Port Alfred for his -- what a small, small world! It also transpired that

Erik is a 'street artist' and of course I said that he would have to do a performance for us one evening here at the camp.
So, where is all this going?
On my birthday, as we sitting around enjoying the balloons and the aromas coming from the spit and drinking pre-dinner toasts to our good fortune -- as one does on a hot afternoon in beautiful Africa -- Erik came up and said:
'As a street artist, I have never performed in front of people. I usually work late at night when there is no one around, and my preparations I do in the privacy of my studio, but, as it is your birthday, Wilna, I will make a huge exception for you today and give you a birthday gift today by performing for you".

Need I say that I was overwhelmed?

Erik came with all sorts of interesting looking things -- a large piece of plywood to work against, a portfolio of various pre-prepared stencils, an aerosol can of black paint, latex gloves - and a wide smile. And he set to work.

First he prepared various pieces of artists' paper by sticking them together carefully and onto the plywood with masking tape. He then started spray painting, and, after quite a tense while, when he peeled off the top layers of paper, the result was two long-fingered very fine-detailed hands in an almost-pyramid shape at the bottom of the sheet. He offered this to me -- "I know you like to buy paintings from artists before they have finished them. Would you like to have this now, or do you wish me to finish the piece?"

I laughed. So true. I much prefer 'unfinished' paintings when the artist's vision is clear but before he adds too much and spoils it by over-painting the actual core of the piece.

"No -- this time I want it to be finished!" I said. I was far too inquisitive to see what else was going to be there with the interesting long fingers. I knew it would be worthwhile, this time, to have the artist finish. Also, I wanted him to continue the whole intricate process of his art form.

More layers of pre-prepared stencils, more very meticulously placed and taped pieces of paper, more spray painting, careful peeling and voila! The chef d'oeuvre at the end --

"You said Madiba was close to your heart..." -- a laughing and joyous Nelson Mandela!

What a very very special birthday gift!

What a very very special birthday!

Please give yourself a gift too and go look at some of Erik's work -- http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=ESFP&m=text


No comments:

Post a Comment