Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A little aside -- regarding a Parisian alley cat that went by the name of Toulouse Lautrec...


Kinshasa ; funny how you remember all sorts of things you had heard through the years from people who had been to a place you had never visited.

I had in years gone by stopped here so many times en route to Europe – and remember one time, when I went home after my years in Paris, when I was flying with my beautiful Toulouse (a 12kg Parisian alley cat) in an overnight bag with holes cut in the sides. (long story – but the airline had forgotten to provide for a live animal in the hold and had to allow me to take him in the plane with me.)

I am sure there are people all over the world who, to this day, tell the story of the Air France flight they were on one night from Paris to Johannesburg when there was this huge black and white cat on board that walked up and down the aisles and greeted everybody and got his own tray with food and entertained the children by playing peek-a-boo over the tops of the seats with them and scratched at the toilet door when he needed to go.

When we got to Kinshasa we got off at the airport, we went in to the airport building – as one did in those days – and the only thing I could get for him to drink was warm Fanta orange in a saucer; Toulouse was not impressed with Kinshasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment