Saturday, March 26, 2011

Flying on a dream : A contribution from Elisa






My lungs are burning, my legs are totally numb. Don't look back. No matter how far you've come – still you are not there, where you want to be – on top of that massive dune.


You keep on going because you think that is worth it.


You keep on going because you've decided to do it.



Once I'm on the top, it's too windy, even if I could open my eyes without getting blinded by the sand, the heavy clouds cover the assumed beautiful sunset anyway.


At least I have my beer.


I find a little shelter and share the beer with Suzanne and Jesco. Two strangers, just like my other travel companions, who everyday feel more and more like my family. Even with an extensive amount of sand in my mouth, it's one of the best beers I've ever had.



We start to get back down. A step after a step I go faster and faster and before I fully understand it, I'm running, no, flying down the dune and screaming my heart out.



Your mind goes blank, you leave everything behind.


You forget everything, you let go. I let go.


I'm here. I'm alive. I'm free.



My feet slip, I fall down into the soft sand and start to roll down. I feel amazing, nothing's holding me back. I keep on rolling.



I couldn't stop smiling. Wilna made a comment of me smiling like I knew something. I knew that there was no other place where I'd rather be.


I'm right here.. and I can't stop smiling.





Who? Elisa is our indomitably joyous spirit from Finland.


A few tidbits about Elisa: Elisa teaches us one interesting fact about Finland every day and once a day also asks a question about Finland. The first person to answer correctly is awarded a Finnish flag sticker. This sticker has surely become the most coveted item on the truck!


Elisa has a degree in sign language interpretation and is currently studying for a second degree, in Political Science, International relations and Human Rights at Padua University, Italy.



Tattoos: None revealed to date


What gets up her nose? Swedish David reminding her when Sweden has been better at something than Finland.



_______________________________________________________________




The big dune above the Bedouin camp where we overnighted.


1 comment:

  1. was die duin die volgende oggend nog daar???

    ReplyDelete