Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Meeting some wonderful people on the way


While we were travelling these past ten months, we came across some very interesting people. Quite a few times we met up with fellow-travellers in campsites, and it was always fascinating to hear their stories; what brings people to Africa? Why are they there? Why do they brave the hardships, the obstacles, the danger? There is of course many individuals or couples who travel in these hardy 4x4's that have been adapted and adjusted over time to get most adventurers where they had - originally - intended to get to, and then there is-- probably not surprisingly -- the odd man on a motorbike, travelling on his lonesome self -- man and machine and Africa -- kind of a phenomenon one doesn't even question. Then there is the slightly weird individual who decides to challenge Africa on a bicycle -- and they very much remind me of a certain Don Quichote tilting at windmills. Each to his own... But the group of travellers that always put a smile on my face were the intrepid Samaritans -- those that come to Africa to help make the world a slightly better place than the one they found.

One such person was "The Toshiba Girl". The first time we came across Tamin-Lee Connolly was in Addis where she had managed to pull her big 4x4 in amongst our tents on the handkerchief of a lawn at Holland House, the local backpackers tucked in behind the railway station. When I saw this big clumsy vehicle that looked like it must have been gently lowered in there with a crane as it would have been impossible for anyone to drive in and park in the space where the vehicle was, I wondered who could possibly be such a good driver. Then I noticed this young woman doing a month's load of dusty washing and naturally wondered where her partner was. It was only later that I met Tamin and, somehow, when I heard her South African accent, was not surprised in the least that it all fit together. I immediately became a Number One admirer of this Young Woman with Gumption!

Later we met Tamin again on the shores of Lake Tana and this time I was green, green, ugly green with envy when I heard where she had just been: she had travelled all the way up the length of Lake Turkana -- all by herself -- and had found it to be the most beautiful place she had ever been. Well -- when the brighter shade of green started to subside, I started feeling grey -- grey with the regret that I had not known about Tamin before, for I would surely have managed to fulfill a lifelong dream had I been able to accompany her on that wonderful journey.

Tamin explains what she is about:

I was born in Nelspruit, South Africa (of course she was! - RS) in 1981. I first grew up on my farm near Sabie before my dad was recruited to Indonesia. I was at the young age of 12. I moved to Malaysia and attended The International School of Penang (UPLANDS) but also travelled South East Asia. I was known back then as ‘the jungle girl’ for my wild and wacky ways! I completed my high schooling in Malaysia before going back to South Africa to study my degree in Physical Education and Sports Science. I taught all over South Africa and travelled extensively over Southern Africa, beginning my journey in life as a volunteer and charity worker.

This inspiration sparked in me my desire and dream of making a bigger difference in the world through education. I moved to the United Arab Emirates in 2008 to help kick start that dream!

It was in the UAE that I worked my ass off to plan and prepare for my Big Mama Africa Expedition! I’ve managed to volunteer with ‘One Laptop Per Child’ foundation, and from hundreds of interviews after interviews to gain sponsorship, to acquire my goal of 5000 laptops. I am now ready, if that’s possible, to begin making my dream come true…
Treat yourself and go read more about this remarkable woman: Everything except the horn



Another group of people we came across -- once in Livingstone, Zambia and then another time in Lusaka, was the Book Bus. The reason the immediately caught my eye when I saw it for the first time was because it looked so beautiful: a white bus painted with wispy pictures straight out of Roald Dahl story books -- which is, of course, exactly what they were. The Book Buses are painted white and then decorated with illustrations of Quentin Blake (who is also involved in this amazing project) . What a wonderful way to be noticed on the red dust roads and under the blue dome of the African skies!Quentin  Blake girl in tree with book In Livingstone, coming out of a deliciously hot steamy shower -- always a magical treat! -- I bumped into one of the young women on the Book Bus. Unfortunately I did not get her name -- I asked so many questions about the bus and about what they are doing in Africa, that I never got round to exchanging names! But I did find out about the amazing work these volunteers do: The Book Bus Foundation aims to improve literacy rates in Africa and South America by providing children with books and the inspiration to read them. The Book Bus currently provides a mobile library service for children from disadvantaged communities and families in Zambia, Malawi and Ecuador. Our Book Buses tour schools, hospitals and orphanages to promote reading and storytelling to children who would otherwise have little or no access to books. There's no doubt that stories can make a difference to children's lives and with story tellers onboard, the Book Bus can help maintain the link between local society and its own stories as well as providing inspiration with new stories from afar.
The idea of using a bus to bring books to children is not a new one but our Book Buses are more than simple mobile libraries. Our onboard volunteer crews engage with children and their teachers, promoting reading in a way that is creative, inspiring and above all, fun. By mixing books with enjoyment, our volunteers can encourage an early interest in reading.


Again, well worth your while to go read more about this admirable organisation:


No comments:

Post a Comment