Sunday, May 8, 2011

For Africa



I wished myself young again for you last night

only if for your gaze

your touch -

but geography of life

carves roads on my face

erodes the youth from what

I see when you take me in your eyes


Would that for us the time

between your touch and mine

when skin meets,

and smiles,

the years collapsed,

that mirrors had no memory


I opened the doors to the night storm,

hoping to quench this thirst

but the torrents of rain lit the fire

I picked up the splinters of Habib's sweet sounds

and behind us stretched the endless desert.


Yet you remain as beautiful as the earth,

as children at the village well

as the lonely traveller without luggage, and I

I sit here on my suitcase of days

waiting for the train to who knows where

I want to forget the days

I want your blindness

-forgive me -

and travel with you

to the lands of wonder


I wished myself young again last night

for you, you understand

not for me.





I lie

It was all for me








Habib Koité, Malian singer, songwriter and guitarist


No comments:

Post a Comment