Friday, November 19, 2010

The Day of the Needles...


Sounds like the name of some low-budget horror film, doesn't it? But it is the start of immunizing myself against the plethora of possible voodoo spells that Africa holds in store for me...

What one wouldn't do to follow that dream! Today I spent a couple of hours at the Travel Doctor -- for jabs against just about anything known to man:

Rotavirus
HPN
Tetanus
Diptheria
Pertussis
Polio
Typhoid
Hepatitis A
Hepatitus B
Yellow Fever
Rabies
Jap B Encephalitis
Schistosomiasis
Cholera
Onchocerciasis
Lymphatic filiariasis
Trypanosomiasis
Meningitis
Influenza

Enough! The last time I had that many needles in me was when I went for an acapuncture session in Yokohama! The next session is next Friday, then they continue until the 1st of March next year. At every session I will be getting three or four vaccinations.

And I always believed that if I cannot pronounce the name of a disease, I should not be able to get it anyway! -- And those listed are only the ones they have vaccines for. I am even getting two vaccinations against influenza -- which will be a first for me! But I reckon sitting on the back of a truck with 8 other people for 42 weeks is pretty much in the same category as my little granddaughter spending three mornings a week in a play group -- if there is a bug -- ANY bug somewhere in the vicinity of a twenty kilometre radius, she is definitely going to bring it home with her. Better safe than sorry has to be the motto here!

Talking to my medical family members, there are new diseases and bugs and viruses and creepy crawlies discovered daily in Africa, ready and lying in wait for me. So -- if there is a vaccination against anything that you know of and I have not heard about, let me know -- I am going to get me one of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment